Friday, October 22, 2010

We Got Chickens....and Eggs too!

I have wanted chickens since we bought this place. A friend at work is getting ready to retire and was looking to get rid of his chickens. We took ten off his hands. 4 young layers and 6 who will be starting any day. We have had a busy month so the chicken house isn't finished yet but we made them a make shift home in the dog run. Owen James is the best little chicken farmer you ever did see. He goes right in the pen, he'll feed them from his hand and loves collecting the eggs. Claire has yet to fall in love. We have had them 2 days and have collected 7 eggs, yippee!

In the Hen House: 2 Barred Rock - Owen has named both of them Oreo, 2 Rode Island Reds - unnamed, 2 Delaware - unnamed, 2 New Hampshire Reds - unnamed, 2 Araucana - both named Snickers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! you are brave!!! I have heard chickens are fun though and I bet those fresh eggs are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete